Educational website from nonprofit tissue bank, AlloSource, grows rapidly, honors tissue donors, spotlights tissue transplant recipients
Tissue donation rates are lower than organ donation rates and AlloSource found that there was not an online resource dedicated to talking about the benefits of tissue transplantation. The company wanted to honor donor families and encourage others to be both organ and tissue donors by presenting straightforward case studies and medical information on tissue transplant procedures. The easy-to-access online source provides interactive opportunities to ask questions, share stories and connect with others. The website has also become a valued source of information for organ procurement organizations, which work with families throughout the donation process and coordinate transplants.
"Patients presented with the option of a tissue transplant had few places to go beyond their surgeon to get information. As many people are now consumers of online information, we wanted to create a place that these patients could go to have their questions answered and to read about the donation process and surgical outcomes," said Thomas Cycyota, AlloSource President and CEO. "Encouraging donation and honoring donors is a cornerstone of AlloSource's mission and this site is a tribute to those who make our jobs possible."
In less than two years, the website has already generated impressive web traffic for such a niche topic. It has received more than 10,000 page views and other key indicators for growth also look positive: number of visits, time spent on the site, bounce rate and percentage of new visitors in year two have all beat those from year one.
Key accomplishments of the website include:
- Promotes tissue donation and honors families touched by the donation process
- Helps potential patients learn more about the donation side of allograft transplant surgery and better understand the potential surgical outcomes
- Brings to life the stories of tissue donation by publishing case studies from recipients and donor families
- Quickly provides expert answers to incoming questions from the public
- Shares consumer news on updates about medical advancements related to tissue transplantation
- Provides organ procurement organizations with resources that can be easily downloaded, printed or emailed to assist in their interactions with donor families or in their event and marketing efforts
- Shares the medical perspective on tissue transplantation to help readers understand how doctors of various specialties utilize allograft tissue
- Provides a forum for people touched by tissue donation or transplantation to share their stories publicly
- Promotes donation events throughout the country
For more information, visit: www.allograftpossibilities.org.