Artwork Network and the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye bank invite you to share in a unique project for a great cause: The Circle of Light Photo Project.
This project aims to show the impact eye, organ and tissue donation has on our communities through images photographed by people who were legally blind before a cornea transplant restored their sight. It hopes to inspire others, through a visual medium, to become eye, organ and tissue donors by joining the Colorado Donate Life Organ & Tissue Donor Registry. In 2010, Artwork Network launched the exhibit and it received considerable media coverage and did much to increase awareness about the impact of eye donation in the lives of others.
For this year’s exhibit, we’re asking Colorado artists to share in the project by choosing one of these photos as inspiration for a new piece of their own work, which will be exhibited along with the original photo from November 18 through November 29, 2011. Both the photographs and the artwork will be auctioned online to benefit the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Bank, the nonprofit organization that facilitates eye tissue donation and transplantation in Colorado.
- Artists are free to interpret, incorporate, appropriate or simply reference the original photograph in any way they choose. The point is to let their newfound sight inspire your artistic vision.
- You may choose to work in any medium.
- The size of your work must be limited to match the size of the photo as it will be exhibited in the gallery.
- This will vary depending on the photograph you choose. For scuptures, please consult with with the project artist coordinator listed below.
- Your work must be donated to the project for online auction to benefit the mission of the Rocky Mountain Lions Eye Bank, a 401(c)(3) charitable organization. Donations are tax-deductable and the eye bank will issue an acknowledgement/receipt of the donation for your tax records. Consult your tax professional about your particular situation and for any questions related to the extent or valuation of the deduction.
- The eye bank’s public relations department will coordinate all media coverage for the exhibit and will be in contact with each participating artist to gather bios for the press kit and exhibit materials. While we cannot guarantee coverage, the 2010 exhibit received considerable media attention. Press materials will be targeted toward national media this year as well as local media.
- Deadline to receive artwork is November 15, 2011 and the number of photographs is limited, so act fast!