DL Life Logo MARCH 27,2014 - - - - 121,680 AMERICANS ARE CANDIDATES ON THE UNOS TRANSPLANT WAIT LIST DL Life Logo 99,755 waiting for a kidney DL Life Logo 15,755 wait-listed for a liver DL Life Logo 1,182 waiting for a pancreasDL Life Logo 2,024 needing a Kidney-PancreasDL Life Logo 3,826 waiting for a life-saving heartDL Life Logo 1,642 waiting for a lungDL Life Logo 47 waiting for a heart-lungDL Life Logo 256 waiting for small bowelDL Life Logo One organ donor has the opportunity to save up to 8 lives DL Life Logo One tissue donor has the opportunity to save and -or enhance the lives of 50 or more individuals DL Life Logo You have the power to SAVE Lives by becoming an organ, eye and tissue donor, so what are you waiting for? To learn how to register click HEREDL Life Logo

Saturday, February 11, 2012

'I donated a kidney... I now know what my patients go through': The remarkable story of a top transplant expert

The Daily Mail, UK | Bonnie Estridge

Recovering in his hospital bed having just undergone surgery to donate one of his kidneys, Dr John Scoble confessed to feeling ‘a little sore’. As a consultant nephrologist and transplant expert at London’s Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, he had advised patients on the exact same procedure for decades.

But two years ago, by an extraordinary twist of fate, John discovered just how it felt to be a patient when he became a donor to his 66-year-old cousin, Derek Scoble.

John says: ‘Intellectually, I knew what would happen, but emotionally the experience changed my perspective completely. Becoming a donor was an amalgam of all the things I had heard from my patients. I now know the hope, the fear, the disappointment when there are setbacks, as there were in our case – and the ultimate joy that comes when the transplant is a success.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2099831/I-donated-kidney--I-know-patients-The-remarkable-story-transplant-expert.html#ixzz1m9TCYWbS

No comments: