DL Life Logo MARCH 27,2014 - - - - 121,680 AMERICANS ARE CANDIDATES ON THE UNOS TRANSPLANT WAIT LIST DL Life Logo 99,755 waiting for a kidney DL Life Logo 15,755 wait-listed for a liver DL Life Logo 1,182 waiting for a pancreasDL Life Logo 2,024 needing a Kidney-PancreasDL Life Logo 3,826 waiting for a life-saving heartDL Life Logo 1,642 waiting for a lungDL Life Logo 47 waiting for a heart-lungDL Life Logo 256 waiting for small bowelDL Life Logo One organ donor has the opportunity to save up to 8 lives DL Life Logo One tissue donor has the opportunity to save and -or enhance the lives of 50 or more individuals DL Life Logo You have the power to SAVE Lives by becoming an organ, eye and tissue donor, so what are you waiting for? To learn how to register click HEREDL Life Logo

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Peaks of Inspiration - April is National Donate Life Month

Peaks of Inspiration | Petra
Organ donation plays a HUGE part in my life.

When my youngest son was born there was this illusion that he too would be healthy just like my other children. No one ever suspects their child to be born sick (unless you can get confirmation prior to birth). It was soon after his birth and bringing him home that “things just didn’t feel right”. I wanted to believe the doctors that my son just wasn’t getting enough fluid – but the reality was vastly different.

When we learned that my son had a rare genetic disorder at the age of 4 – I almost felt relieve. Crazy I know but it was in that moment I knew I was not going insane or imagining things – my gut feelings have been right all along. A year after his diagnosis however, we were faced with a huge decision that was a matter of life and death.

In order to survive and have any kind of chance at life, my son needed a liver transplant or he would eventually succumb to his genetic disorder. It was only a matter of 3 weeks from the time he was listed until we received the call “we have a potential match”. But it wasn’t enough – 24 hours after the first transplant – he needed a second liver.

No comments: