DL Life Logo SEPTEMBER 11,2014 - - - - 123,175 AMERICANS ARE CANDIDATES ON THE UNOS TRANSPLANT WAIT LIST DL Life Logo 101,170 waiting for a kidney DL Life Logo 15,714 wait-listed for a liver DL Life Logo 1,181 waiting for a pancreasDL Life Logo 2,052 needing a Kidney-PancreasDL Life Logo 4,035 waiting for a life-saving heartDL Life Logo 1,629 waiting for a lungDL Life Logo 53 waiting for a heart-lungDL Life Logo 259 waiting for small bowelDL Life Logo One organ donor has the opportunity to save up to 8 lives DL Life Logo One tissue donor has the opportunity to save and -or enhance the lives of 50 or more individuals DL Life Logo You have the power to SAVE Lives by becoming an organ, eye and tissue donor, so what are you waiting for? To learn how to register click HEREDL Life Logo

Friday, June 14, 2013

Mom’s Voice: A ‘Transplant’ Father’s Day

Newport Beach Independent Newspaper | Jill Fales
June 10, 1999 was quickly approaching.

“I will be home from the hospital by June 20, I have to barbeque hamburgers for my family for Father’s Day.”

The surgeon reiterated there was no guarantee. After a kidney transplant a recipient could be in the hospital a couple weeks or more. There could be complications.

“Nope,” my dad replied, “I’ll be home then.”

At 5 a.m. on June 10, 1999, my husband pulled into the parking structure at St. Joseph’s hospital. The still of the chilly darkness seemed to fit the mood. While we joked inside the brightly lit hospital, the seriousness of the situation clung to the air.

Not being a morning person, I remember a part of me was looking forward to the surgery so that I could go back to sleep.

I signed a pile of papers, pulled on the compression stockings they handed me and was given a black sharpie marker to initial my body. I took the sharpie and drew a happy face on my left side, just under my ribs. This was to signal that we were all in agreement that the left side was the correct place to cut. Prior intensive testing with contrast die was used to create a roadmap of how and where the arteries were to be cut so that they could be sewn on without incident, into my dad’s body. Only after they successfully removed my kidney, would Dr. Ruzics, my dad’s surgeon, be given the signal to begin in his OR down the hall.

No comments: