Friday, August 14, 2015

Hermosa Beach widowed mom receives kidney from longtime friend

The Beach Reporter | by Nereida Moreno

Sally Halpin has two kidneys — one in her body and one silver, kidney-bean-shaped necklace hanging around her neck.

The necklace is a thank-you gift from Christine Schneider, a longtime friend and former sister-in-law who endured multiple kidney failures after she was diagnosed with lupus in her early teens.

Schneider, 43, began aggressively seeking donors last year after losing her husband Doug in a dirt bike accident. The Hermosa Beach resident and widow was determined to survive so she could care for her young son, Dylan.

She received her first organ transplant from her brother in 2001, but was placed on the transplant list again more than 10 years later.

"I didn’t have the energy to do anything. I was dragging myself around. It was gradual so I didn’t really realize how bad I was feeling," Schneider said. I "I didn’t have the energy to do anything. I was dragging myself around. It was gradual so I didn’t really realize how bad I was feeling," Schneider said. Continue reading

 

 

No comments: