Sunday, August 16, 2015

Organ transplant provides gift of life

Lima Ohio | John Bush

Amber Payne is eternally grateful to the organ donors and their families as she approaches the 10-year anniversary of a life-saving double lung transplant. “Obviously ‘thank you’ is not enough. Those words don’t fully grasp how I feel or the sacrifice I know their loved one has made. I don’t take their loved one’s sacrifice or their loss lightly. I think about my donor everyday and the opportunity I was afforded because of them.”

LIMA — At the age of 19, Amber Payne was already planning her funeral.

She had just returned home from her first semester of college, and was told by doctors she only had between six and 12 months to live. The cystic fibrosis in her lungs had gotten so bad that the only chance for survival was an organ transplant, which could take months or even years for her to receive. Payne, a Wapakoneta High School graduate and current Lima resident, remained bed-ridden for 10 months, relying on a feeding tube and an oxygen machine to survive.

But on Sept. 25, 2005, Payne underwent a double-lung transplant that ended up saving her life.

As she approaches the 10-year anniversary of her life-saving transplant, Payne said she is eternally grateful to God, her donor and her donor’s family.

“Obviously ‘thank you’ is not enough,” Payne said. “Those words don’t fully grasp how I feel or the sacrifice I know their loved one has made. I don’t take their loved one’s sacrifice or their loss lightly. I think about my donor everyday and the opportunity I was afforded because of them.” Continue reading

 

No comments: