CNN | Ben Brumfield
|The University of Pittsburgh Medical Center is looking for the source of a mold after three patients' deaths.|
(CNN)Three transplant patients have died at a Pittsburgh medical center after contracting a fungal infection, and officials have struggled to find the source of the mold. An intensive care unit has been temporarily closed during the hunt.
But it isn't some kind of killer mold. It's a household kind -- plain old indoor mold.
It doesn't threaten the general population, or patients and staff with normal immune systems at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
But UPMC said it believes the mold may have contributed to the deaths of organ transplant patients, including one who died Thursday at UPMC Montefiore.
Two other patients died in October and in June at UPMC Presbyterian, CNN affiliate WTAE-TV reported. And UPMC said another patient is deathly ill with the same kind of mold infection. Continue reading.