Wednesday, December 2, 2015

DOUBLE LUNG TRANSPLANT SURVIVOR HOPES TO SPREAD AWARENESS FOR ORGAN DONATION

WWAY TV 3 | Taylor Yakowenko

OCEAN ISLE, NC (WWAY) — ‘Tis the season of giving and a year after surviving a double lung transplant Gene Norris is thankful everyday for the organ donor he never met who gave him his life back.

“It just started with a simple eye exam and the optometrist noticed something wasn’t right on my optic nerve,” said Norris. “So I went and had it checked, and they said cystic fibrosis sometimes caused what she was seeing.”

But it wasn’t cystic fibrosis. It was Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, a disease which causes a decrease in lung function that is often times fatal.

“It’s like I almost didn’t really understand what he said until my wife and I were leaving the doctor’s office that day. About halfway back to the car I stopped and I looked at her and I said, ‘I’m dying,'” said Norris, remembering when the doctor told him his diagnosis. Continue reading

 

No comments: