Sunday, December 6, 2015

In rare procedure, Springfield man with autism donates kidney to brother

The Register-Guard | Mark Baker

SPRINGFIELD — The gray T-shirt with the green lettering gives him away.

“World’s Best Kidney Donor (and brother),” it says across Derek Hadley’s chest.

If not a fact, if not something that is officially bestowed on any transplant donor anywhere, it’s nonetheless how Jeff Hadley feels.

“I’m eternally grateful to him,” says Jeff, 33, an accountant at Levi Strauss & Co. in Eugene, sitting on the couch with his younger brother in Derek’s Springfield home, the one their parents bought for Derek in 2011. “I don’t want to say I was surprised. I didn’t know which way it would go, whether he wanted to (donate his kidney) or not. But I’m eternally grateful. I’ll always be grateful.”

That Derek Hadley, 31, was willing to donate one of his kidneys to his only sibling, who was born with a physical disorder that left him with only one functioning kidney, is not uncommon from one outlook. Continue reading

 

No comments: