Thursday, December 10, 2015

Kindergarten teacher returns to Biscayne Elementary classroom after liver transplant

Miami Herald | Debora Lima

The hospital is not where Susie Rich would’ve gone for her third date with future husband Chris. She would have preferred something more traditional, like dinner and a movie.

But there they were at Jackson Memorial Hospital, waiting for a diagnosis after yet another of her episodes.

“I don’t know how he didn’t turn around and run, ’cause I would’ve,” said Rich, a 37-year-old kindergarten teacher at Biscayne Elementary, who returned to the classroom on Thursday.

“The principal asked me this morning how I felt to be back, and I told her I haven’t been this happy since my wedding day,” Rich said. “It’s so refreshing to go back to my life.”

Rich has battled a variety of severe medical issues since before she could speak.

“Everyone has something,” she said. “And this is my thing.”

There was the grapefruit-size cyst that doctors found lodged between her spleen and gall bladder when she was 6 months old. Then there was a major surgery, soon after her first birthday, in which doctors worked to clean up the mess the cyst left behind and to insert tubes into her bile ducts. Continue reading

You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
...and have a conversation with your more here:

No comments: