DL Life Logo - - - - 121,159 AMERICANS ARE CANDIDATES ON THE UNOS TRANSPLANT WAIT LIST DL Life Logo 100,376 waiting for a kidney DL Life Logo 14,753 wait-listed for a liver DL Life Logo 1,029 waiting for a pancreasDL Life Logo 1,924 needing a Kidney-PancreasDL Life Logo 4,156 waiting for a life-saving heartDL Life Logo 1,469 waiting for a lungDL Life Logo 42 waiting for a heart-lungDL Life Logo 269 waiting for small bowelDL Life Logo One organ donor has the opportunity to save up to 8 lives DL Life Logo One tissue donor has the opportunity to save and -or enhance the lives of 50 or more individuals DL Life Logo An average of 22 people die everyday while waiting for a transplant. DL Life Logo You have the power to SAVE Lives by becoming an organ, eye and tissue donor, so what are you waiting for? To learn how to register click HEREDL Life Logo

Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Donate Life Day at the capitol celebrates donor families and recipients

Cronkite News , Arizona PBS | Sydney Glenn

Donor families and transplant recipients celebrated life on Wednesday at the Donate Life day at the state capitol.

Mark Larson, a two-time kidney recipient, was on dialysis and unable to fulfill his passion of traveling. One day the phone rang and everything changed.

Jess Villegas Jr. died of a brain aneurysm. He was an organ donor and his death gave Larson his life back.

“He donated a kidney to me, but also saved 5 other peoples lives. So, he’s my hero,” Larson said. “When I recovered from my surgery, I wrote a letter to [Villegas’s] family and I told them what it meant to me to get my life back.”

The Donor Network of Arizona (DNA) is anonymous, but recipients can write letters to donor families through DNA.

“I didn’t hear anything for weeks and weeks, but one day out of the blue I get a phone call from this nice lady who says he name is Mercy Villegas and she is my donor’s mother,” Larson said. VIDEO, continue reading

 

No comments: