Sunday, March 20, 2016

Wife's greatest gift: I gave her my heart now she's giving me her kidney

Daily Record | Heather Greenway
Julie and Kerigh during their civil partnership in 2013.

SHE won her heart, then her hand and now Kerigh Palmer is going to receive the greatest gift from her wife Julie – a kidney.

The 39-year-old photographer and her spouse could make history later this year when they become one of the first married gay couples to take part in a live organ transplant.

Eight months ago, Kerigh, of Pollok, Glasgow , discovered her kidneys were failing but, after tests, the couple discovered that Julie, 53, was an organ match.

The couple, who met online in 2010 and upgraded their 2013 civil partnership to marriage last June, hope the transplant will give them a long and happy future.

Kerigh, who lives with journalist Julie in Hertfordshire, admits it took her a long time to agree to letting her wife become a living donor.

The former Crookston Castle Secondary pupil said: “I found out my kidneys were failing around 10 years ago and was told I would eventually need a transplant but probably not until I was in my 50s or 60s. Continue reading
You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
...and have a conversation with your family.

No comments: