Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Christiansburg family and donor share transplant story for National Donate Life Month

WDBJ | Eamon O'Meara

CHRISTIANSBURG, Va. (WDBJ7) April is Donate Life month, a national effort to get more people to sign up to be organ donors.

A Christiansburg family is living proof how valuable donations can be.

Scott Cook has battled diabetes most of his life. But in 1998, he went into kidney failure and had to go on dialysis.

"[My] quality of life, I didn't really recognize that I was up here and good and all of a sudden you drop down," he said. "I just thought I was staying the same level, I didn't realize how sick I was getting."

His wife Melissa Cook added, "He, basically, was sleep, dialysis, and work and that was hard on us as a family. You really couldn't do anything else."

Melissa donated a kidney to Scott in 1999. 10 years later, that kidney failed.

That's when Melissa's co-worker at the Carilion New River Valley Medical Center, Amanda Smith, volunteered to be a new donor. Continue reading
You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
To ensure donation happens, please share your decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you wish to leave.

No comments: