Friday, April 8, 2016

"It's such a gift": Organ donor family meets recipient 17 years later

KOLO NEWS | Ed Pearce

RENO, Nev. (KOLO) Seventeen years ago Debbie Pinjuv and her family were bracing for the worst. For seven years she had fought a losing battle with a rare autoimmune disease that was destroying her liver. She had waited a long time to get on the list to receive a donated organ, only to be disappointed. Time was running out.

"I knew that I was probably going to die and Kevin and Kyle (her sons) would not have their mom."

Meanwhile in Truckee, Kathe Sorrentino Wilson's 12-year-old son Gabe was celebrating his 12th birthday. That happy day would end in tragedy as an accident left him fatally injured. While praying for a miracle, she also knew what she wanted to do if it didn't arrive.

"I knew he was gone and then knowing that eventually those organs help people live full lives and do amazing things. It's such a gift."

The call came as Debbie's family was sitting down for what she told her family she believed would be her last meal.

"I couldn't walk or talk or anything and here I was jumping up and down and packing and calling my mom and dad and my sister and telling them I was going to live." Continue  reading

You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
...and have a conversation with your family.

No comments: