Friday, April 15, 2016

Napa Valley Mom Shares Son's 'Donate Life' Story

NAPA VALLEY PATCH | Jaime Wilkins



Napa Valley Reader, Melanie Merrill-Kennedy:

April is 'Donate Life' month. ... I wanted to share our family's story of how organ donation saved my son's life.

I met Pochie upon his admission for liver transplant at Lucile Packard Children's hospital, where I worked as a physician assistant in transplant surgery. He was placed in foster care just a few short weeks before receiving his gift of life on January 17, 2012. He had a prolonged hospital stay and as a result of the countless hours I spent caring for him we formed a special bond.

My family and I relocated to Napa in November of 2012. Shortly before our move, I received notification that Pochie needed a new placement so I literally took my work home and brought this amazing little person into my family fold that December. It hasn't been easy but it's been a wonderful journey. On December 4, 2015 we finally adopted Pochie and our family circle has grown with the inclusion of his biological family. Continue reading
_________________________________________________________
You have the power to SAVE Lives
Please register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Nationwide:
Organ Donor | Donate Life America
...to ensure donation happens, please share your donation decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you plan to leave.

No comments: