Sunday, May 22, 2016

Teacher Finishes 5K Thanks to New Set of Lungs

EAMMON KELLY BEFORE (LEFT) AND AFTER (RIGHT) HIS LIFE-SAVING DOUBLE-LUNG TRANSPLANT.



RUNNER'S WORLD| Megan DiTrolio

After Eamonn Kelly, 32, underwent a life-saving double-lung transplant, he celebrated with a 5K.

The Boston-based science teacher was born with cystic fibrosis, a disease that affects the lungs and digestive system. Kelly ran recreationally in high school and college, but he had to stop after he graduated college. “I got sicker and was pretty limited in what I was able to do, exercise-wise.”

Cystic fibrous causes thickened mucus to form in the lungs. This mucus blocks the airways, causing lung damage and making it hard to breathe. "It got to the point where I had to use oxygen all of the time," he said. "I'd have to carry a little tank with me.”

Following the transplant in October, Kelly immediately started testing out his new lungs. “I started walking the day after the surgery," he said. "I walked 40 steps. Every day I was in the hospital, I would go out and walk in the hallway." Continue reading
_______________________________________________________________________
You have the power to SAVE Lives
Please register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Nationwide:
Organ Donor | Donate Life America

...to ensure donation happens, please share your donation decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you plan to leave.

No comments: