Saturday, August 6, 2016

I Didn't Want Anyone To Die. But If They Did, I Hoped They Said Yes To Being A Donor


ALEXRATHS
Talking about your potential death is not nice. But it could save someones life.
THE HUFFINGTON POST AUSTRALIA | Lawuren Rowe

Australia has one of the best post-transplant results in the world, but one of the worst donation rates. What does this mean? At any given time, there are around 1500 people on the list waiting for a transplant. Some don't receive them in time.

I am passionate about organ and tissue donation because I was a part of that statistic. I needed a double lung transplant at the age of 19, due to the genetic disease Cystic Fibrosis. I was put on the transplant list with less than 12 months to live -- my doctor told me I could be waiting up to two years for a donation.

The donation crisis means there aren't enough people saying yes to donation. Not enough Australians are having the conversation about what's to be done with their organs and tissue and if they're to be donated when they die.

My lungs quickly deteriorated while I waited on the list, with each day nearing me towards suffocation and my body breaking me with pain. My quality of life was reduced to an always-present oxygen tube, a wheelchair and a bed. I became acutely aware of fatalities on the news and hated myself for it. I didn't want anyone to die, but if they did, I hoped they said yes to being a donor because I didn't want to die either. With less than two weeks to live I received the call -- there was a donor and I went into my life-saving surgery. Continue reading
_______________________________________________________________________
You have the power to SAVE Lives
Please register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Nationwide:
Organ Donor | Donate Life America

...to ensure donation happens, please share your donation decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you plan to leave.


No comments: