Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Organ donation: ‘I thought I had flu, but I needed a new heart’

Peter Wakefield, of Meldon Grange in Heysham, who thought he was suffering from flu but in reality needed a heart transplant.

This week is Organ Donation Week and people are being urged to turn an end into a beginning. Today, Aasma Day talks to Lancashire dad Peter Wakefield who thought he had flu but ended up needing a life-saving heart transplant. 

WHEN Peter Wakefield began suffering from a cough and symptoms of a cold, he thought he just had a touch of flu and carried on as normal.

A couple of weeks later, Peter’s symptoms hadn’t cleared up and he felt out of breath and then one morning, he woke up to find his face all swollen. Peter, who was 29 at the time and lives in Heysham, near Morecambe, explains: “It all began at the end of March last year but I did not think anything of it at first as I just thought I had flu. 

“I had a cough, was out of breath and had general flu type symptoms. Continue reading
You have the power to SAVE Lives
Please register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.
In California:
Donate LIFE California | Done VIDA California
Organ Donor | Donate Life America ensure donation happens, please share your donation decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you plan to leave.

No comments: