For Goode woman, importance of organ donation is personal


THE NEWS AND ADVANCE | Ashlie Walter

April Perdue was 25 years old when she learned she would need a kidney and pancreas transplant after dealing with Type I diabetes for 15 years.

Now, 18 years later, Perdue, a Goode resident, has been diabetes free since the transplant. She works outside her home, and she and her husband have two children.“There weren’t the advancements in glucose monitoring when I was 25. The diabetes caused damage to my kidneys, and I was diagnosed with renal failure in 1998,” said the Bedford County resident last week.She underwent the double transplant later that year. Her pancreas was replaced to help her new kidney last longer and to help with the diabetes.

“I figured I had a lot of life to live, and I wanted to start a family with my husband,” she said. Continue reading

Comments