Make your life count for more than just you,’ Local man shares how donor saved his life

WTHI | Alia Blackburn

TERRE HAUTE, Ind. (WTHI) – Most of us think of February 14th as Valentine’s Day, but there’s another reason to show love. It’s also National Donor Day.

According to national statistics, nearly 120,000 people are on a waiting list for a lifesaving organ transplant.

For Ken Vanatti, he was one of those people. These days, he looks at life a lot differently.

“I lived for the weekends and family time,” Vanatti said, “and now I just live for every day, I thank God every day I get up.”

That statement would have been different several years ago. In 2008, Vanatti was diagnosed with Stage Five Kidney Failure.

“I was devastated, I didn’t know what to think,” he said, “I wasn’t happy with my doctor, I was angry at the world.”

It wasn’t until 2012 when Vanatti received his first kidney, as well as a pancreas. Two weeks later, he experienced a blood clot, which cause him to lose the kidney.

“I was in the hospital for right at two months because of losing the kidney,” he said, “and I was having to really learn how to walk again, and I didn’t want to get out of that bed. I was depressed from losing the kidney.” Continue reading



Comments