Former Winthrop student sets sights on future after getting life-saving gift

THE HERALD
Tamisha Martin and Megan Rogers pre-surgery Contributed photo
Charlotte resident Tamisha Martin is looking forward to traveling and enjoying all of what life has to offer. It’s a future Martin didn’t know if she would have.

“My brain is hyper,” she said. “I can’t stop thinking about everything I can do and everything I want to do.”

Diagnosed with Lupus, an inflammatory disease in which the immune system attacks the organs, Martin has been fighting kidney failure for a decade. She has been on dialysis for nearly four years.

On March 2, Martin got a new kidney and a new shot at life, thanks to Columbia resident Megan Rogers. Rogers, 31, and Martin, 30, both attended Airport High School in Columbia. Rogers volunteered to donate her kidney to Martin, who she hadn’t seen in nearly 10 years.

“I just want to give her her life back,” Rogers said before the surgery. “I want her to experience those things that she wouldn’t be able to without this. God put this on my heart to do.” VIDEO Continue reading
_____________________________________________________
You have the power to SAVE Lives
We are asking you to register as an organ, eye and tissue donor today.

To ensure donation happens, please share your decision with your family. At stake is the legacy you wish to leave.

Comments