MedWatch- April is Donate Life Month

KSWO | Rhiannon Poolaw


LAWTON, OK (KSWO)- April is Donate Life Month. It's celebrated to help encourage people to register as organ, eye and tissue donors, and to celebrate those that have saved lives through the gift of donation.

"He was looking for a donor, and he asked me 'hey would you be interested if you were a match?' And I said, 'well certainly.'" 28 years ago, Brett Rankin's brother Mark, had kidney failure and needed a transplant. So, when Brett found out he was a perfect match, he knew that he wanted to do it.

"If you can count on your family, your family will count on you, and your family will be there for you," explained Rankin.

"I at the time didn't realize what was going on, just knew my dad was having surgery and he was going to save my Uncle's life." Melissa Alvillar, Brett's daughter, was 9 at the time the surgery happened. She's now a nurse for Comanche County Memorial Hospital. Continue reading

Comments