Transplant recipient: 'I don't take one day for granted'

THE PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE | Stephen Huba
Inside Brittany Grimm beats the heart of a 31-year-old man.

The 21-year-old college junior got a second chance at life 10 years ago when she received a heart transplant in Pittsburgh – an event that informs virtually everything about her life today.

“Every day I wake up and I thank my donor for me being here,” she said. “I don't take one day for granted. I live life to the fullest.”

A communications major at Seton Hill University, Grimm used her experience to promote organ donation at the school's annual spring picnic on Thursday. Grimm's talk on the 10th anniversary of her heart transplant culminated a week of activities oriented around the importance of organ donation.

“I've made it my life's goal to tell people how important organ donation is,” she said. “Without people signing up to be an organ donor, I wouldn't be here.”

Her parents, Butch and Colleen Grimm of Erie, said not a day goes by that they don't think about the transplant. “It's always in the back of your mind,” Butch Grimm said. “Until you have a connection with someone who's had a transplant, you really don't know what it's like.” Continue reading
__________________________________________________

You have the power to SAVE lives.  Register as an organ, eye, and tissue donor
Go to: RegisterMe.org   |   Social Media Declaration: #OrganDonor
To ensure your gift is honored, share your donation wishes with family and friends
__________________________________________________

Comments