TWO BROTHERS, ONE LIVER, ONE MESSAGE: WE ARE VITAL TO EACH OTHER

HEALTHY MAGAZINE | Jared Wohl

“We Are Vital to Each Other” is a mantra I remind myself of every day, and one that defines one of the most pivotal times in my life.

On February 11, 2014, I donated 65 percent of my liver to my younger brother, Cameron. He was diagnosed with primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), a rare and chronic autoimmune disease, at the age of 13. About a decade later, things took an unfortunate turn when his doctors explained that they had spotted a tumor on his liver, and his disease had been consistently progressing. A liver transplant became necessary to save his life but due to the high demand of organs, regardless of his critical state, he was nowhere near the top of the list – a list that another person is added to every 10 minutes in the United States.

When doctors posed the idea of undergoing a living-donor transplant – where someone donates approximately 40 to 60 percent of their liver, and both the donor’s and recipient’s liver regenerates to full size – I jumped at the opportunity to see if I was a match. As fate would have it, I was approved, and Cameron and I successfully underwent transplant surgery just over three years ago. Continue reading

__________________________________________________

You have the power to SAVE lives.  Register as an organ, eye, and tissue donor
Go to: RegisterMe.org   |   Social Media Declaration: #OrganDonor
To ensure your gift is honored, share your donation wishes with family and friends
__________________________________________________


Comments