Stone to be erected for organ donors in Sudbury

THE SUDBURY STAR | Ben Leeson
Aries Johnston along with John Montpellier, Gerry Montpellier and Bob Johnston at the small park on Lorne street where a monument to honour organ donors will be erected in Sudbury, Ont. on Wednesday August 9, 2017. Gino Donato/Sudbury Star/Postmedia Network
Bob Johnston has a lot more energy since receiving a kidney transplant in 2015 and he's putting it to good use.

Johnston and Gerry Montpellier, who teamed up to found Cruisin' for Organ Donors and Rich to raise money and awareness for organ donation, will also pay tribute to donors Aug. 18 with the erection of a stone monument, provided by Sudbury Memorial Works, at the park on the corner of Lorne and Oak streets in Sudbury.

The event, which will also include a flag raising and free barbecue, starts at 10 a.m.

"We're doing it to pay it forward to organ donors, who never get the recognition they deserve," Johnston said. "An organ donor is a lot more than an organ donor. They're a hero and an angel, too. I see what it did for me in 2015 when I got my kidney transplant – I went from feeling 80 years old down to 25, I have so much energy and I feel so good. I'm watching my son grow up and before, I was so sick I never knew how much time I had." Continue reading
__________________________________________________

You have the power to SAVE lives.  Register as an organ, eye, and tissue donor
Go to: RegisterMe.org   |   Social Media Declaration: #OrganDonor
To ensure your gift is honored, share your donation wishes with family and friends
__________________________________________________

Comments